These savory high protein breakfast muffins are great grabs on the way out to work, school, or hiking. Whenever I have leftover quinoa, this recipe comes to mind. If you don’t have any cooked quinoa on hand, it’s fast and easy to prepare while other ingredients are prepped. They freeze well for a grab-‘n-go microwave meal later.
6 large farm Eggs
1½ cups cooked Quinoa (white, red, or black)
1 cup cooked Black Beans (canned is fine, rinsed well)
¾ cup Cottage Cheese
¼ cup minced Scallions
1 cup shredded Cheddar +/or Jack Cheese
1 14-oz can diced Mexican-style tomatoes, lightly drained
¼ cup chopped, fresh Cilantro
2 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Break and whisk eggs together in a medium-large bowl.
3. With a rubber spatula, fold in quinoa, black beans, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, scallions, tomatoes, and cilantro until well combined.
4. In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients together; mix into egg mixture.
5. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes until firm to touch and lightly browned on top.
6. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving plain, or with diced avocado and fresh salsa.